Sunday 13 November 2011

How I spent my weekend

I spent my weekend digging up my backyard! 

Just diggin'

Do I look like I'm having fun? I tried to keep a positive attitude and cheer on the boys (Chris and my dad did the majority of the work) but trust me, digging a trench, 4 feet deep and 40 feet long is no fun at all! Luckily the weather cooperated, and considering we're doing this project mid-November we are extremely lucky.

So, now the big question, why are we digging up our yard? Up until now we've been dyeing the yarn in the laundry room in our basement. Our basement is only semi-finished, so it's worked out really well so far. However, over the past couple of months it's become clear that the laundry room/dye studio is not going to cut it for much longer. We looked into every single possibility, renovating the basement to accommodate us, renting a space to work from, and in the end we decided that we love working from home and aren't ready to give that up yet, plus the added expense of renting a space and all the extra costs associated with it made me nervous. So though we wanted to continue working from home we also wanted to reclaim our basement for ourselves (we have big plans to make the basement into a rec-room one day.) 

What we've decided to do is tear down the little old shed that lived in the corner of our back yard and build a dye studio in it's place. The shed was very old and rickety, I did my best to cutesy it up (this photo was taken before the door was painted turquoise) but the truth is it wasn't very useful. We have a garage where we are able to store the lawnmower and gardening tools that this little shed used to house. I don't think we'll miss it much. 

Our cute little old shed

So, Chris tore down the shed and we spent the weekend preparing the yard for the work that will begin today! It shouldn't be that big of a project, we're working with the same great contractor who helped renovate our bathroom earlier this year. The most complicated part is running water and electricity from the house out to the new studio, hence the 4 foot trench. 

Chris - brute strength

To put that into perspective for you, I'm just over 5 feet tall, 4 feet is deep!

The team