Friday 26 February 2010

learning curve

Today, as I was spinning and I'll admit, as I was admiring my spinning and how pretty the roving looked as it was morphing into yarn, I started to think about how much I've improved as a spinner and how great that feels! I thought that it might be nice to take a little stroll down memory lane and look back at some of my earlier spinning.

I spun these singles back in May when I first got my spinning wheel.... ouch.



I got a bit better by this next attempt. I wasn't exactly in control of what I was doing yet, but it was getting a bit more even.

I thought that I had gotten pretty good when I spun this in November. I still think that it's pretty, just not quite as perfect as I once thought.


Same goes for this, I love the colours, and I spun it only a month ago, but notice how it's so unevenly wound unto the bobbin?

This is where I'm at in my spinning of the Crabby McCrabbypants roving. I'm about half way through spinning the second portion (of three) into singles. Forgive the photo, I always take my photo's during the day to use take advantage of the natural light, but I just loved how the colours were winding onto the bobbin so much that I had to get a shot of it before I continued. Aren't the colours gorgeous!? The spinning is much more even and consistent.

Pretty soon I'll be able to really plan out my spinning more deliberately. Now I just spin and then make plans for the resulting yarn later, but I hope to start spinning for a specific project and make yarn purposefully. Not that I don't love having random skeins of hand-spun laying around, and I love knitting those adorable baby jackets, but I have dreams of knitting a colourful yoke for a sweater for myself someday.