Friday 1 January 2010

A look back

2009 was a very big year for me. I can't possibly recount every high and low, and I don't think anyone would want that anyway, so I'll just stick with the high-lights. Personally, I got engaged to the man of my dreams! Professionally I quit my day job to focus on building my own business, I went to my first (and second) knitting show as a vendor, I made my own website and I gained a full time business partner (my fiancé Chris!) Right now, I can't help but feel really lucky to be doing what I love. We work very hard, but we love our work, so it's no sacrifice at all. This time last year Tanis Fiber Arts was almost 1 one year old, I had 2 products: Blue label fingering weight yarn and Green label aran weight yarn. In 2009 I added 2 more yarn bases, 2 rovings and 3 kits. I collaborated with talented designers to create patterns. I designed my own patterns! I bought a spinning wheel and learned to spin! I wrote 115 blog entries!

And in my spare time... I knit.

I have 46 finished projects from 2009! Too many to fit into one mosaic, so I've separated the socks:


12 pairs of socks, 7 were gifts, 1 was donated to charity and 4 were kept for me!

Then there is the rest: 11 sweaters (3 for Stella, 3 for babies, 5 for me!), 7 hats, 4 pairs of mittens, 3 blankets, 3 scarves, 2 shawls, 2 cowls, 1 pair of slippers and 1 elephant.

1. mitered corner - the Baby Shane Blanket, 2. Lagoon Loppem with Lime green buttons, 3.Stella's Preloved inspired sweater, 4. Kureyon Hoodie, 5. February Baby Sweater, 6.Girasole, 7. Assemblage, 8. TFA Sand, 9. Thermis, 10. Adamas shawl with Pink Label Lace at Frolic 2009, 11. Mitered Square Blanket, 12. IMG_2225, 13. Buttons Neck Warmer, 14.TFA - Blue Label - Lace Ribbon Scarf - Plum, 15. February Lady Sweater - TFA Mallard, 16.Nightsongs Shawl, 17. Hand dyed, hand spun, hand knit hat! , 18. Elijah in pink, 19.Midnight Porom, 20. Sparkle Fresh Beret, 21. TFA - Thrummed mitten kit, 22. TFA Fiddlehead Mittens, 23. Vespergyle mitt, 24. Stella's Watercolour sweater, 25. Little Miss Greenjeans in Peacock, 26. Little Girl Scarf, 27. Little Inga Hat, 28. Fiddlehead Mitten in Aqua, 29. TFA Dipped Infinity Scarf Kit, 30. Stella's Aran Pullover, 31. French Press slippers, 32. Dipped Infinity Sweater, 33. Koolhaas

8 of the knits are reserved as show samples, 15 were gifts (I consider Stella's sweaters gifts!) and the rest live at home with me, some of the hats are shared with Chris, but the sweaters are all mine!

Quite a productive year! 2010 is shaping up to be pretty exciting too, I've got my wedding to look forward to, more knitting shows to attend, new yarns, colours, patterns and kits to dream up... I'd better get to work!