Wednesday 27 January 2010

Happy Birthday Mom!

Today is my mom's birthday! She's the best.

I'm knitting a pair of socks that may or may not be for my mom (she reads my blog, so I have to keep her on her toes!) The pattern is the Waving Lace Sock from Interweave Favorite Socks book. I think that this is the 5th or 6th pattern that I've knit from this amazing book. I have several sock pattern books, some I occasionally flip through, but none that I knit from as much as this one. I've even knit several of the patterns multiple times. The yarn I'm using is my own Blue Label Fingering Weight yarn in a one of a kind colourway. It was an experiment a while back, I think that this shade of purple is very pretty, and suits the geometric lace pattern nicely.


As you may have noticed, I've been quite interested in multicoloured yarns and rovings lately. I've added a whole series of multi's to my collection, I've been spinning with multicoloured rovings... so it was only a natural progression for me to experiment with dyeing my multi's in my roving. Here is Rhythm and Meadow in my superwash merino roving:


I'm looking forward to spinning these up and comparing the finished handspun yarn to it's partner in hand dyed yarn. I'm sure the resulting yarns will be very different, but equally interesting.


Meadow may be one of my favorite new colourways. I have a feeling that when this is spun it will have a similar vintage look to the whispers in the wind handspun that I recently knit with. I think that the browns and the light beiges will add a softness. This may be my next spinning project.


I don't have any immediate plans to add multicoloured rovings to my permanent collection of products, but I may bring a few along with me to my next show, these are still in the experimental phase.

Thanks to everyone who left such nice comments on my last post about my handspun BSJ! I'm still a very new spinner, so the encouragement means a lot!