Monday 7 September 2009

Tussah Silk Roving

I'm just about all set for the K-W show. All the dyeing is done, almost everything is labeled and I have a pretty good idea of how I'm going to set up the booth once we get there. I'm going to be bringing 3 types of roving with me, Superwash merino, BFL and Tussah silk. I love them all.

The superwash merino is so soft and absorbs the dyes so the colours are intensely vibrant and richly saturated. The BFL is soft and wooly, the colours are a bit more muted and natural, great for felting and the long staples make for easy, pleasant spinning.

Ah, and then there is the tussah silk. I'm in love. It's so rich and silky and shiny and luxurious. I tried to capture some of it's sheen in the following photo's, but it's really something you have to see and touch in person to really appreciate.

You may not be able to tell, but it's actually glowing.

It's almost too nice, because I'm secretly hoping that not of it sells so I can keep them all to myself. Probably not very productive.

Obviously I'd like to spin it all, but even in it's at rest state just waiting to be braided it's a sight to behold.