Tuesday 28 July 2009

Nightsongs shawl


I finished my Nightsongs shawl on Friday. Today I took advantage of the amazing light in my new apartment to take some FO shots. I got 8 repeats of the pattern, I had 10 grams of my beautiful yarn leftover, not enough for another repeat, I'm glad I made it as big as I could. It's not that I really wanted a big shawl, it's just that I didn't want to waste any yarn!

The finished shawl has a lovely sheen to it, that was of course very difficult to capture in photographs, I guess you'll just have to take my word for it.

Though this pattern has it's flaws, once I figured it out I really enjoyed it. I like that it has an organic leaf shape. It's kind of funny, because back when I knit my Adamas shawl, one of the things that I liked about it was the linear, geometric pattern. It seems that right now I lean more towards fluid lines in my lace, we're all aloud to change our minds right? I am particularly fond of the border, all those little yarn overs that form a v-shaped grid. I like that it doesn't have a million little points, but fewer exaggerated points that flow out from the leaves. If I knit this shawl again, which I think I will, I would omit the double yarn-overs in the center and instead just do a single, I'm not sure the double really adds anything other then a really big hole!

It has a lovely drape doesn't it?